Erica Lea on May 13th 2009
Yankee cornbread. Slather it with butter. Pour on the maple syrup. Repeat.
This recipe is the perfect blend of sweet and nearly fluffy, and rustic and flavorful.
This cornbread has the best flavor when you use fresh ground or at least stone ground corn. However, it is still very tasty when you only have yellow cornmeal (as I did).
Adapted from the King Arthur Flour Baker’s Companion
- 1 cup (4 ounces) whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup stone ground or yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) whole milk
- 1/4 cup (2 3/4 ounces) maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1) Preheat the oven to 425° F. Pour 2 tablespoons of the melted butter into an 8 or 9-inch square or round baking pan.
2) In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the milk, maple syrup, remaining butter, and eggs. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently stir together just until moistened.
3) Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Serve warm with butter and maple syrup.
Makes 9 servings
And now for the giveaway!
Here’s what you’ll win:
One lucky person will win two (2) cotton dishcloths, hand knitted by yours truly!
What makes these dishcloths so special?
They are knit with a single strand of crochet thread. That makes for a much tighter knit than regular hand knitted dishcloths. And the scrubbing power is wonderful. They take much longer to knit, but it is worth it.
How can you win these?
Leave a comment describing to me what you would do with this piece of cornbread. For example: would you drizzle it with honey, spread it with jam, crumble it into a soup, or chuck it out the door?
- Leave a comment as described above before 11 p.m. on Monday, May 18.
- You must leave me with a valid e-mail address.
- Only one comment per person.
- The winner will be chosen at random using random.org.
Edited Tuesday, May 19: The giveaway has ended. Thank you all for participating! The winner will be announced shortly.Subscribe to my RSS feed. ~ Get email updates. ~ Twitter. ~ Facebook.