Erica Lea on Jun 9th 2009
It is Dad’s philosophy that when you find the perfect recipe for a particular dish you should stick with it. We believe we have found the perfect guacamole recipe. I can’t remember the last time we used a different recipe. It was in the far past.
This recipe has a wonderful blend of flavors - creamy avocados, spicy jalapeno pepper, tasty cumin, tangy lime…
One recipe isn’t nearly enough for us. We usually double it.
- 3 medium, ripe avocados, preferably Haas
- 2 tablespoons finely minced onion
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 small jalapeno chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 2 tablespoons - 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 - 3/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin, or to taste
- 1 - 2 tablespoons lime juice, or to taste
1) Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits, and score with a knife in several places both lengthwise and crosswise. Use a spoon to remove the flesh into a medium-sized bowl.
2) Add the remaining ingredients to the avocados. Mash lightly with a potato masher or fork and stir until well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. For best flavor, allow the ingredients to meld: press a piece of plastic wrap onto the guacamole and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Serve cold or at room temperature.