Erica Lea on Dec 18th 2010
Scroll to the bottom to see the giveaway winner…
Our family has always enjoyed a good cup of eggnog at Christmastime. Mom would carefully pour out a small portion and add a bit of milk to make it less rich. We kids would savor the little we got and agree that any more would be too much.
These days I prefer to make my own eggnog. I know exactly which ingredients go into it. And it is such fun to make.
Adapted from a recipe from a friend.
- 12 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups maple syrup (or granulated sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts (8 cups) whole milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg + more for garnish
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
1) In heavy 4 quart saucepan, off heat, whisk the eggs, maple syrup, and salt until well blended. Gradually stir in half of the milk.
2) Cook over low hear, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 25 minutes
(mixture should be about 170 - 175 degrees F). Do not boil.
3) Pour custard in a large bowl. Stir in vanilla extract, 1 Tsp. ground nutmeg and remaining milk. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, about 3 hours.
4) Just before serving, in a medium bowl, beat whipping cream until soft peaks form. With wire whisk, gently fold whipped cream into custard mixture. Serve with extra whipped cream on top and a sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg.
Store in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Makes about 16 cups or 32 - 1/2 cup servings
And now for the giveaway results!
Using random.org I selected a winner:
Commenter #156 Marty Rummel, who said: “CCC’s are hard to beat! Give me chocolate chips with walnuts, please!”
Congratulations, Marty! I will contact you with further information.
Thank you all for entering my contest. May you have a Merry Christmas!
Subscribe to my RSS feed. ~ Get email updates. ~ Twitter. ~ Facebook.